Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Demon of Gluttony from Yokohama

Speaking of spiritual matters, I think our Japanese exchange student may be possessed by a demon of gluttony. I should not really have thought so had his eating habits been anything less than supernatural, and yet, given that they are so, I have had to look for other worldly answers to an unworldly capacity to stow away a week's worth of groceries in a single day. How is it possible, I have wondered? Seeking a natural conclusion, some sort of explicable scenario, I have yet found none. The evidence leads me only to extravagant theories.

How is it possible? How? He is short, he is thin, and yet I have seen him swallow entire refrigerators. Again and again he emerges from his room, fills another plate, and returns to his lair of culinary frenzy. Six hotdogs, two hamburgers, a package of garlic potatoes, mixed greens, milk, a bowl of Cocoa Puffs, cheese, Chinese noodles.

How can it be? It is quite clearly impossible. And yet . . . and yet . . . the plates come out and go in, come out and go in. My mind has become disjointed in trying to grasp the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment