Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Networking

Today my wife is networking. I guess when you network, you meet with other people and give them money or some other form of exchange so that they can grow their own business, whilst they give you money or some other form of exchange so that you can grow yours. It is an arrangement of mutual support, an I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine sort of scenario. The accomplished networker, I suppose, will come out with more scratches than he gives. It is an investment for gain.

So it happens that we now have three or four medical insurance policies along with a couple life insurance investments. If either I or my wife get sick and/or die soon, we will be sitting pretty. Well, one of us will be. Admittedly, the odds are against my striking the gold, given age and illness versus youth and good health--but you never know. Accidents happen, right? In a certain way, one seems safer in betting on the accidental than on the expected. That, anyway, has been my experience in life.

In any case, I am included today, as I have a week off work anyway and obviously nothing better to do. Nonetheless, the coffee shop chosen for the networking meet was way too hot for most life forms, and so I excused myself in favor of a table at the Starbucks a mere block away. When it comes to decent air conditioning, Starbucks knows their stuff.

Another day of triple digit temperatures. I wonder why we didn't go to river instead. Oh well, business is business and play is play--and time is money, whether it is going in or out.


No comments:

Post a Comment